What is KS1 Tuition?
Key Stage 1 is a crucial time period in a child’s academic development, as they start to learn new techniques and base topics that will be the foundations of their future learning.
Our classes for Key Stage 1 are designed to ensure that students grasp the fundamental topics and to help build their confidence and ability. Some children may be working above the average level for their age group, so we can work to extend their skills and build them towards Key Stage 2.
What we cover in KS1 Tuition?
The new national curriculum for Key Stage 1 is designed to cover a wide base of topics in order to lay a groundwork to build on. Our curriculum is fully aligned to the new September 2014 National Curriculum. Students will see topics such as:
English – Phonics, Reading, Composition, Handwriting, Vocabulary, Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar (SPAG) and Comprehension
Maths – Numbers & Place Value, Addition & Subtraction, Multiplication & Division, Fractions, Measurement, Shapes, Worded Problems and Times Tables
Lessons are planned from our bespoke Scheme of Works (SOW) based on the National Curriculum, which means they closely support the work your child is doing at school. Also incorporating specific learning strategies and memory boosting techniques, our KS1 Tuition lessons will assist your child in becoming an effective lifelong learner. All this work will build towards the end of Year 2 when they will take their KS1 SATs (Standard Attainment Tests)
Year 1 Phonics Assessment
All pupils will undergo a phonics assessment in Year 1. This test has been introduced to enable schools to check that pupils are on track with phonic decoding and offer extra support to those who need it. Individual results are made available to parents. National and local results enable schools to benchmark the performance of their children but the results are NOT published in league tables.
The assessment is generally undertaken in a very relaxed manner as part of the normal school day. It is not timed and most children will not even be aware that they are being formally tested!
What does the test include?
Each child will be tested on 40 words including
Pseudo words – are designed to test children’s ability to decode new and unfamiliar words using spelling patterns they should have come across.
Nonsense Words – in the test are accompanied by an image of a monster/alien; the idea is to suggest that the nonsense words is the alien’s “name” rather than a misprint!
Real Words – consist of a combination of high frequency words and unusual words.
KS1 SATs Tuition
In Year 2, children will be working towards the Key Stage 1 learning objectives and will take their first lot of KS1 SATs during the Summer term. There are a number of things that we can do to support your child. Please here for details on how tuition can help prepare your child for their KS1 SATs..
10 reasons to join Talent Engaged Tuition?
- Ofsted Registered Tuition Centre – you can be confident that your child will be educated within a safe and secure environment.
- Individual Attention – small group classes for individual attention, with an average of 6-8 students. Classroom based learning and not sitting in front of a computer.
- UK qualified Teachers – experienced tutors that are industry professionals. All our staff are DBS checked, reference checked and are provide with full training.
- Bespoke curriculum – we plan lessons for the entire year and cover everything students need to learn for exams (fully aligned to the National Curriculum & relevant exam boards)
- Regular Homework – easy to digest weekly homework for every lesson, to reinforce key concepts.
- Progress Exams – After 5 weeks of learning a particular set of topics, students are tested on week 6 to assess how much they’ve learnt.
- Parent Conferences – Every 12 weeks parent can book a parent conference, allowing parents to catch up with us and receive updates about how students are progressing.
- PSED (Personal, Social, Emotional Development) – Children develop confidence and improved self-esteem, learn to manage feelings and behaviour and learn and how to build effective relationships.
- Safety – our centre is fully insured and CCTV is in operation, to ensure the safety of students and staff.
- Modern Facilities – we have our own purpose built tuition centre, that is an Inspiring and vibrant learning environment for students to enjoy learning.